The Town is seeking full-time detail-oriented Town Clerk
Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent Benefits.
Interested candidates should submit letter of interest, application and resume to:
Dawn Ashbacher, Town Manager
Town of Sykesville, 7547 Main Street
Sykesville, MD 21784
Open until filled. First review June 14
JOB TITLE: Town Clerk
SUPERVISOR: Town Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
HOURS: 40 Hours Per Week (Some evenings)
NATURE OF WORK
The Town Clerk provides general administrative, clerical, receptionist, organizational, record keeping, and support functions to the Mayor, Town Council, Town Manager and staff.
THE DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE FOLLOWING
1. Prepare meeting agendas and packets of related information in cooperation with Town Manager for Mayor & Town Council meetings, attend meetings, record the proceedings and prepare minutes for each meeting.
2. Process applications and prepare meeting agendas and packets of related information in cooperation with Town Manager and Chair for Historic District Commission, attend meetings, record the proceedings and prepare minutes for each meeting.
3. Supervise municipal elections, including preparation and distribution of ballots, appointment and training of election officers, and certification of results.
4. Plan and direct maintenance, filing, safekeeping, and computerization of all municipal documents such as the Town Charter and Town Code. This activity includes advertising and executing ordinances, resolutions, and proclamations and publishing, recording, and archiving them appropriately. File all necessary legislative documents with County, State, and Federal agencies.
5. Issue public notification of official meetings and events. This activity includes advertising of executive meetings, special meetings, etc.
6. Maintain and update the Town website as needed. Prepare newsflashes and post information on social media sites.
7. Through the Town Manager, respond to requests for information from the public, other municipalities, state officials, and state and federal legislative offices.
8. Coordinate general front office operations, including answering phones; handling public inquiries; scheduling the use of the Town House conference room, rental of the pavilions at Millard Cooper Park and South Branch Park, bulk pick up, and dumpster rental; processing solicitation permits after approval by the Chief of Police; maintaining postage stamp inventory and bulk mailing permit; ordering office, paper good, and cleaning supplies; and maintaining updated staff directory.
9. Collect monies received, compile and balance the weekly bank deposit for the Town Treasurer.
10. Oversee contracts for housekeeping, cell phones, telephones, copiers, heating oil, electricity, fuel, etc.
11. Maintain a list of authorized employees who drive Town vehicles and use the Town account to purchase fuel. This activity includes setting up an account and distribution of cards for each employee and vehicle for use at an approved gas station
12. Process employee related forms and correspondence for Town employee benefits including health insurance, deferred compensation, LTD, STD, and other programs.
13. Maintain oversight of contracts for Local Government Insurance Trust, Injured Workers Compensation, Health Insurance, Volunteer Insurance and others as needed. Process claims filed, including workers compensation, property, vehicle and liability. Maintain claim files and logs, and coordinate claim response with the Town Manager.
15. Serve as HIPAA Security Official to conduct periodic risk assessments, implement the security policy, and monitor the security program for any issues or questions that may arise.
16. Coordinate special employee and Mayor and Town Council events.
17. Work with Maryland Municipal League (MML) for the yearly Scholarship award, and assist with new Council Members orientation programs. Assist the Mayor & Town Council with their MML quarterly dinner meetings and Banner City correspondence.
18. Coordinate with Town employees to obtain information to produce the quarterly Town Newsletter. This activity includes; editing, printing, mailing and distributing the newsletter to all Town residents.
19. Assist in filling vacant positions by advertising, scheduling interviews, and processing needed paperwork.
20. Coordinate with Little Sykes Railway to ensure it is properly licensed and inspected through the State of Maryland and is ready for operation from May until October.
21. Maintain a cooperative, courteous, and professional working relationship with all departments within the Town.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
1. Must demonstrate ability to work independently.
2. Must communicate effectively with all Town departments and the public in writing, person, and on the phone.
3. Must have graduated from an accredited High School or equivalent.
4. Must be competent in business math and business English.
5. Must possess good organizational skills.
6. Must be skilled in working with the general public.
7. Should possess a minimum of three (3) years office experience.
8. Must possess practical problem solving skills with a variety of variables.
9. Must possess a positive attitude towards town citizens, visitors, and fellow employees.
10. Must have working knowledge of office procedures and equipment and be competent in the use of office computer hardware and applicable software.